Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pancakes and Blueberry Sauce

We had breakfast for dinner tonight, which is one of my favorite meals to cook. Tonight it was pancakes, hash browns and breakfast sausage. I also made blueberry sauce to go on the pancakes. If you've ever been to Maine, you know we use blueberries in a lot of different dishes, I think blueberry pancakes are a universal thing. I just wanted to put a twist on it. I know I'm not the first one that has made a blueberry sauce or syrup, but I still want to share it with you.
Also, you should know...this was my first time making pancakes by scratch--and they came out pretty darn good! The batter seemed a bit thick, but it worked!

Easy Pancakes
1 Cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 Cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp melted butter

Mix together all dry ingredients and make a well in the middle for the liquids. Mix the beaten egg with the rest of the liquids, pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. Heat a griddle or a frying pan on medium high heat. Use a ladle to pour batter into pan (use about 1/4-1/2 Cup batter for each pancake). Flip once and allow to brown on both sides.

(recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)

Blueberry Sauce
2 1/2 Cups frozen wild blueberries (I use Wyman's brand)
1/2 Cup white sugar2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with cool water (optional)

Heat blueberries, sugar and water in a saucepan, stir often to prevent burning. Heat to boiling, let boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes to thicken slightly. If you'd like your sauce thicker, bring back to boiling and add cornstarch and water (as directed on the package). Let cool 15 minutes, then transfer to storage container. Serve over hot pancakes for a true Maine breakfast!

(recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)

Hubby's Rating:
Pancakes--Love it! I think we'll put these into our rotation for our weekend breakfasts. My husband is a French Toast man, so if he loves pancakes, they're good pancakes!
Blueberry Sauce--Like it. He isn't a huge blueberry fan, so he had his pancakes with Maine made maple syrup, but he tried the blueberry sauce from my stack.

My Take: I will definitely be making both again! I am surprised by how easy the pancakes were to make! I know they're super easy to cook, but like I said, I had never tried a recipe from scratch for them. I had everything on hand in the pantry, which makes the recipe even more appealing! The blueberry sauce was awesome! Now I am just trying to figure out what else I can use the recipe on! I have about 1 and 3/4 Cup left of the sauce....any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment