Saturday, July 3, 2010

Saturday Snack Time

Today I made jam for the first time ever. It was surprisingly VERY easy!

I made Strawberry Freezer Jam with fresh strawberries from right down the road from me. I can't wait to enjoy my first container this week! It takes at least 24 hours to set up, then I want to have it chill in the fridge before I try it. So, the soonest we'll have it is Monday morning with our breakfast. I will edit this post with the rating as soon as I have it.

Strawberry Freezer Jam
(from Sure-Jell, CERTO)

2 Pints of Fresh Strawberries (2 Cups once hulled and crushed, no more, no less!)
1 Packet of CERTO Liquid Fruit pectin
4 Cups of Sugar (do NOT use Sugar substitute!)
2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice


Hull strawberries and cut in half (cut larger ones in 1/4's). Crush strawberries with a potato masher, 1 cup at a time. Strain strawberry juice from fruit (you might need to do this several times to get all the juice out). The CERTO directions emphasize not using anymore than 2 cups of fruit and not any less.

Measure 4 Cups of white granulated sugar with a dry measuring cup, leveling off with the smooth edge of a knife. Place into a separate bowl from the berries.
Open CERTO Liquid Pectin packet and squeeze contents out into a liquid measuring cup. Mix in lemon juice.

Mix sugar with berries, stirring well to combine. Add liquid pectin and continue stirring until sugar is dissolved--it is okay if a few sugar crystals remain.

Spoon/pour (whichever is easier for you--I found little funnels specifically for this purpose, but not until after I made the jam!) jam into freezer safe containers (use 1 or 2 cup containers). Fill to within 1/2 inch of top. Screw on lids and let set for 24 hours. Freeze up to 1 year or keep in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

*I used Ball Mason plastic freezer jars, meant specifically for this purpose. They're surpisingly affordable and easy to find. They come in 1 cup, 1 pint and 1 quart sizes. I made 5 1 cup containers and then I had some extra that I didn't want to waste so I put it into a small 4 ounce tupperware container. The recipe from the CERTO box stated it would make 4 1 cup containers, so I'm not sure why I had extra.

Husband's Rating:
Hubby still hasn't tried it yet, but I will make him this week, ASAP!

My Take:
This recipe was SOO easy and the product is sooooo good! I am very happy with the results. Next I will attempt homemade salsa to freeze, less sugar freezer jam and raspberry freezer jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment