Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Snack Time

Last Monday night after dinner, I made our snack of the week: Salsa! My first experience with "preserving" anything was the Strawberry Freezer Jam. I made that on a Saturday and decided to make the Salsa Sunday! I got 2 Cup freezer containers (2 packages) and mild salsa seasoning packet from Ball Mason. All I had to add was tomatoes! Later in the year, I may try again with all fresh ingredients.

Freezer Salsa
5 cans (14.5 oz) of petite diced tomatoes
1 Fiesta Mild Salsa Packet from Ball Mason
Freezer containers

Bring tomatoes with juice to a boil on high heat. Add seasoning packet. Stir and turn down heat to simmer for 5 minutes, stir frequently. Let cool for 30 minutes, then spoon salsa into containers (I used a ladle) within 1/2 inch of top. Cover and freeze up to 1 year. Or, store in fridge up to 3 weeks.

My batch filled 6 containers...so about 12 cups. I plan to use my batch for cooking and snacking as of right now (and I am giving 1 jar to my boss).

Husband's Rating: Like it. I have tried a fresh salsa recipe before (I might post that recipe at another date) which he didn't like, so I am glad he likes this.

My Take: Super easy and tastes so fresh. I can't wait to try it with all fresh ingredients! But, trust me, it's good--otherwise I would NOT be giving any to my boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment